Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Service Received--Tips

So in addition to my Americorps job, I also deliver newspapers. I really enjoy it. Since winter has started, I've started taking a little more time (a few seconds difference really) to pull into people's driveways so that I can get the paper closer to their door. Especially the ones I know are older. I do my very best every day to get them delivered as soon as possible, and to take care of any problems or mistakes I may make.

My customers have the opportunity to give a tip as they are billed, but out of the 60 or so customers I deliver to, only about four or five do so. I'm especially grateful for those who do tip, and also those who take the time to compliment me for what I do. It can be a thankless job sometimes, and their appreciation means a lot.

I made plenty of mistakes when I first started, which resulted in many calls and complaints. My record is SO much better now, but I remember the first time someone gave me a compliment it almost brought tears to my eyes.

So last month was December, a time of Christmas giving, I was delighted to receive more tips. Some in person, and almost double through my paycheck. In reviewing my paycheck I found something surprising: No one new had added a tip. The extra money all came from others who already tip me. They increased their tip. It leads me to think that there are those who give, and those who don't. I bet that this is true across the board, and not just in my tips. There are people who give already, and if there is extra need, it's the people who are already giving who step up and give more.

I hope to become the giving kind.

AE

1 comment:

  1. You'll so be the giving kind because you want to. That alone is what separates people. You're awesome in so many ways! Yay, you! :)

    ReplyDelete