Monday, January 28, 2013

Calling People

So one of my goals in my class this semester was to connect more with people from my past.  This may be a result of being an army brat as a kid and moving many places as an adult. I tend to basically "move on" whenever I leave one place and I'm not very good at keeping up contact with people. That, and as silly as it sounds, it actually makes me nervous to call people, even or perhaps, especially, those that mean the most to me. I'm not sure why. I think part of it is I'm afraid to hear bad news or because I've not chatted with someone in so long that maybe they hate me now.  I don't know why I think stuff like this but I do.

The first thing I've noticed is that it's pretty hard to get a hold of people. The first time I tried I called several people but no one picked up. One called me back fairly soon--an old mission companion of mine. It was fun to hear her voice and hear about her family and job. She's such a positive person and she was a light in my life as a missionary. Best of all, she's HILARIOUS. Missions are stressful things, and she really helped me along with her humor.

After that, my phone got all weird and DIED on me! And everyone else I had tried to call tried calling me back during that time but it was a few days before I got a new phone in the mail. I made a post on facebook asking if people wanted to skype me. It was partly in jest, but I was happy to get in contact with two more people from the mission! My favorite couple from the mission.  I wish I had taken a screen shot. It's been a long time since I've seen them, and I really wonder why I don't skype more! It's great to see people you're talking to. They felt the same and we had a nice little online "reunion." 

After I got my phone I tried a few more. There were many people who couldn't answer and a few old numbers that don't work anymore. I called my great-aunt to wish her a happy birthday, which I've never done for her before. She was on her way to Mexico! I was glad to hear it because it's so cold in Utah right now.

So far, I've had some pretty good experiences. I talked with my adopted "Grandma" for a little bit to catch up with things. I haven't seen her and her husband in over a year. She's been very supportive of me in my life, and she was a role model in a crucial time in my life. It was a pretty normal chat, which made me wonder, why I don't do it more often.

I also chatted with a former co-worker. She and her husband were just called to serve as Mission Presidents in a Spanish-speaking mission for the Church. She and her husband will find out next month where they will go. Since the Church has changed the minimum age for serving missions, there have been thousands more applications than usual. The size of missions is increasing and there are more than triple the amount of sister missionaries! They have two daughters who are missionary age now and they are both working on their papers. Their oldest, a son, just finished a two-year mission in Japan last November. How cool to have an entire missionary family!

Still, it's been a bit scary sometimes to call some people. Some I really love and admire so much but I just haven't done it. I hope to buckle down these next few weeks and call up the people that I miss and truly examine my feelings of fear regarding contacting them after a prolonged silence from me.


No comments:

Post a Comment